Thursday, September 19, 2013

You’re so awesome but how come you are still single?


Touché… Haha

Reading the “26, unmarried, and childless” article on
facebook gave me a good laugh. I’m sure you too
have been ambushed with this question before.
Well, probably under some unfortunate
circumstances when you are forced to keep your cool
and smile through the whole awkward conversation.
For some of us on the same boat a little longer, we
have articulated a bunch of diplomatic responses
explaining why that is.

But we don’t have to.

Eternal marriage is more sacred than a merit-based
game. We don’t simply get to save up points by
serving a mission, fulfilling callings in the Church, go
to BYU or do some charity work then achieve to a
certain level when it will magically happen. It is a
combination of doctrinal understanding of
relationship/family/ parenthood, agency of both
parties, and God’s timing. When it hasn’t happened,
it just hasn’t happened yet.

The past 5 months has been a whirl-wind venture
I’ve gone from “Ha, I know what my plans and goals
are” to spinning my head in unexpected
circumstances. It’s been rough but things begin to
make sense now. Looking back I wouldn’t trade the
opportunity to be back in Hong Kong for 3 years
(for now) meeting and loving some amazing
people. Simply as being an answer to someone’s
prayer just this week has anchored me back down
knowing I am at the right place, doing the right thing,
and pressing forward.

Whenever my faith gets a little low and
the fear of uncertainty lurking in the shadow,
I often turn to Elder Scott’s quote for solace.
“When those trials are not consequences of
your disobedience, they are evidence that
the Lord feels you are prepared to grow
more. He therefore gives you experiences that
stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion
which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get
you from where you are to where He wants you to be
requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails
discomfort and pain." -- Elder Richard G. Scott

So, I throw away all my yadi-yadi-ya excuses and
brace myself into the exciting reality that
I am 26,
single,
and figuring my life out.

K.D.




1 comment: