Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Every Star is Different

Let it be known that I love Vic 1 primary :)

I would have never imagined growing to love these little people so
much just by watching them singing their hearts out each Sunday. It
has been a very special experience for me transitioning from wards
and moving on from difficult experiences.

Sitting behind the piano, with shaky hands, I nervously watched
the cutest humans blurting out familiar lyrics—

“Ev'ry star is diff'rent,
And so is ev'ry child.
Some are bright and happy,
And some are meek and mild.
Ev'ry one is needed
For just what he can do.
You're the only person
Who ever can be you.

I smiled.
Tears began to blur my vision.

How true is that everyone of us are meant to be different. I carefully
observed their little bodies and how hard they tried expressing
themselves via music. One little girl, with bright hazel eyes and two
high pigtails (just like Boo in Monsters Inc.), staring at the music
leader with the most paranoid, doubtful look. A little boy, with the
cutest apple cheeks, calmly and softy singing with a big sweet smile.
Another energetic little boy, who has the amazing ability to charge
from 0 to 100 % energy in seconds, zealously hammering out each
word. 

They make me laugh and I love them all. 
These wise little people remind me of a tough battle I am fighting. It is
not easy to choose what God has planned for me over cultural and
social norms. Many kind and gracious people reach out and have
helped me along the way and some chose to cast stone, calling out
judgement in the name of love. It is not easy to feel personhood in a
collective culture. 

It really hurts. 

Because you can’t go show everyone your patriarchal blessings
convincing them that you are just trying your best to live up to the
Father’s expectations. Sometimes the best show-and-tell is when you
just remain firm and steady, reaching your goal, and be truly content
with your achievements.

It’s a nerve-racking experience packing up and getting ready to move
across the world. However, I’ll remember these cute primary kids
confidently showing their uniqueness and remind myself that
Heavenly Father loves me very much.


So much that He has pointed me to the road less travelled by. 

K.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment