Monday, October 7, 2013

Broken Hearts to Mend

Elder Holland’s Conference remark has powerfully addressed the myths of
mental illness particularly in depression. Thank you for those of you who
have shot me messages giving me heads up to watch Elder Holland’s talk!
Our discussions have sparked up so many inspiring ideas and I just
constantly walk around town with the silliest smile recapping them in my
mind.

In his talk, Elder Holland extended a metaphor from the Savior’s
experience in the Garden of Gethsemane. “If the bitter cup does not pass,
drink it.” It is a reality check countering the myth that applying the
atonement = pain free, now.

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you
rest a. “Many today interpret rest as the absence of trouble, heartache,
pain, and sadness in this life. This misguided belief has once taken a toll
on me with all the injustice, cruelty I saw in my own life and the world.

Carlfred Borderick, a psychologist and former stake president, wrote
about his daring move while presiding at a stake primary and young
women activity b. The Barbie and Ken looking leaders were teaching the
audience that they would become like them with the perfect looking
eternal happy family if they too kept the commandments. President
Borderick boldly taught the girls that he wouldn’t want them to believe it
for one minute. The atonement and the gospel were not meant to be
insurance against pain but resources to deal with it.  

Through his experience, he has learned that some of us have chosen to be
born or live in extremely difficult situations in order to accomplish the
work and grand purposes of God. In one of the example, it was a scenario
where a faithful sister could be destroyed by her love yet she faithfully
fulfilled the task she has chosen.

But what if we feel so broken because of the difficulties we’ve
encountered? What if we feel that we are “damage good” because of
missed opportunities, incapability? Even though we have or have been
chosen to go through these excruciating trials, how about the loss that
comes with such sacrifices? In his last conference talk, Elder Joseph B.
Wirthlin taught about the principle of compensation c. “The Lord
compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from
those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it
may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear
today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and
gratitude.”

At one point of my mission, I needed a blessing of comfort as I was
struggling to cope with a lost that I couldn’t comprehend in addition to
existing difficult circumstances. To his greatest effort, my awesome
Peruvian district leader, Elder Pacheco, offered the blessing in English
instead of his mother tongue, Spanish. Despite how difficult and tragic the
lost was, he ensured me that “Heavenly Father has prepared a way for me
to be happy.” So I held on to that promise trusting His way to be a better way. 

Four years later, what seemingly to be a tragic lost has now led to
wonderful blessings altering the course of my life. I would not trade what
I have now with what I have lost, not in a million years. In the moment of
insecurity, heartache and heartbreak, may we trust in healing power of
the atonement and with the utmost assurance believing that experience is
for our benefit in the Master’s plan.


Be still, and know that I am God. - Psalm 46:10


K.D.


A. Matt 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment